Traumatic Brain Injuries: Are your Eligible for Coverage?

Traumatic Brain Injuries: Are your Eligible for Coverage?

The 2015 autobiographical movie Consussion starring Will Smith portrays Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic neuropathologist who discovered Chronic Traumatic Encephalophaty or CTE. CTE is a degenerative type of brain injury caused by repeated brain trauma and is mostly suffered by athletes and war veterans.

Because of his dicovery, Dr. Omalu was immediately thrust into the legal spotlight against huge sports organizations. Dr. Omalu’s case is just one among the many traumatic brain injury cases around the country. Other simpler ones did not get the attention it deserves.

It need not be CTE. Getting into an accident which caused brain injury or damage might warrant you for compensation. But before securing yourself a brain injury lawyer in Los Angeles, it is first essential to understand what Traumatic Brain Injury is, and your rights for compensation.

What is Traumatic Brain Injury?

TBI is a result of a sudden and forceful blow or jolt to the head or body. This results in damages to the brain tissues which in turn causes trauma to the brain itself.

The severity of the case will be assessed by the physician based on the symptoms manifested by the patient. TBI symptoms can show up a few hours after the incident or can take days, weeks, or months. Fainting, nausea, dizziness, and sensory problems are the common physical effects. Psychological ones are more complicated and can be in the form of depression, erratic mood changes, and memory problems among others.

What makes a TBI case?

People who have suffered accidents or injuries in the workplace or public spaces are often entitled to a degree of compensation. Whether it is against an insurance company, your employer, or the government itself, it pays to be properly represented by a lawyer. How would you know if you have a valid case? Consult with a brain injury lawyer and see if you have a fighting chance for compensation.

Think you might be eligible for compensation? Exercise your right and work with a qualified lawyer now.