3 Classifications of CDL Licenses

3 Classifications of CDL Licenses

Any person driving commercial vehicles, such as passenger buses, semi-trucks, trailers, or dump trucks, must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). These licenses fall into three categories, which depend on the vehicle’s weight. Large truck operators and bus drivers must be qualified and skilled to stay safe on the road.

As such, anyone looking for trucking job openings must consider getting the license first. Companies looking to hire drivers require that the drivers have the right license. Getting their drivers from an established staffing agency takes the risk and the hassle off the job. Below are the three classes of commercial diver license:

Class A

A driver with a Class A CDL can operate any vehicle combinations that weigh 26,001 pounds or more. If it is a towed vehicle, it must weigh more than 10,000 pounds. A class A licensed driver can drive livestock carriers, flatbeds, tank vehicles, and tractor-trailers. If such a driver gets the proper endorsements, they can be allowed to drive some Class C and Class B vehicles.

Class B

A class B license allows the driver to drive any class A vehicles. They are also allowed to drive city buses, school buses, couriers, delivery buses, and segmented buses. Like with Class A licensing, the right endorsements on a class B license can allow the driver to drive class C vehicles.

Class C

A driver with this license can operate a vehicle that carries 16 or more people, as well as transport hazardous material. The driver will also need endorsements to drive passenger vans and vehicle combinations not covered under class A and B.

To get a CDL, the driver has to be over 21 years old. They need to meet federal guidelines within their home state. They also need to pass knowledge exams besides the driving skills test. To ensure that you get quality drivers, you may hire the services of a reputable staffing agency.